Preamble: Before starting the upgrade, backing up both your database and your site files is of great importance.
Note: In the steps below, remember to replace your-domain.com with your actual domain name.
Note: You may need to clear your web browser cache after the upgrade.
3.0 -> 3.1
2. Back up your database (Tools -> Database Backup) and your files.
3. Download the changed files package for this upgrade.
4. In the changed files package, do the following:
- rename the /upload/ folder to match your /commentics/ folder.
- rename the backend folder /upload/backend/ to match your backend folder.
5. Upload the /upload/ folder onto your existing commentics folder to overwrite everything.
6. Run the upgrade http://www.your-domain.com/upload/install/
7. Log in to your admin panel and make sure everything is working.
8. Delete the /upload/install/ folder.
9. Take the script out of maintenance mode (Settings -> Maintenance).
2.5 -> 3.0
This is a major upgrade. Only comments and pages are kept. Do a practice run first.
2. Make a note of your Commentics admin panel settings.
3. Put the script in maintenance mode (Settings -> Maintenance).
4. Back up your database (Tools -> Database Backup) and your files.
5. Delete the whole Commentics folder and all files inside it on your server.
6. Upload the /upload/ folder to your server where the Commentics folder was.
7. Rename the /upload/backend/ folder to the same as what your renamed admin folder was called.
8. Rename the /upload/ folder to the same as what your Commentics folder was called.
9. Run the upgrade http://www.your-domain.com/upload/install/
10. Reset your admin password using the Lost Password feature.
11. Log in to your admin panel and make sure everything is working.
12. Save your settings that you made a note of in step two.
13. Go to 'Settings -> Administrator' to change your password.
14. Go to 'Reports -> Permissions' to check your file permissions are correct.
15. Go to 'Settings -> Email -> Setup' to send yourself a test email.
16. Go to 'Extensions -> Themes' and set your theme options.
17. Delete the /upload/install/ folder.
18. Take the script out of maintenance mode (Settings -> Maintenance).
19. Test all of the frontend features.